Sunday, April 21, 2013

On Partying Like a Rock Star...

I just got back from the most tiring, but fun, week ever. I got less than six hours of sleep each night, probably had one drink too many more than once (sorry Mom and Dad) and met some really awesome people. It was one of those trips where the beginning of it - last Monday - feels like it took place a week ago. That's a good thing, right?

So of course I want to talk about some food that I ate, because it was pretty top-notch. My first night in Los Angeles I went to a little place called Wood & Vine. We sat out on the patio and got lots of plates to share, one being pork bruschetta. I only had half of one piece of it, and it was probably the richest thing I've ever eaten, but incredibly delicious. Ever have whipped lardo? I have. It's fattening and awesome. The other pieces that came with it had garlic and ricotta, and then pork liver butter. I passed on the liver one, and apparently that was a good choice.

I had chicken and waffles for the first time, and certainly not for the last time. I've always been a salty and sweet lover, but this was like, sweet AND savory, which kind of blew my mind? The waffle was pretty standard, the chicken was the best I've ever had (amazing crisp on the outside, moist on the inside) and then they put maple syrup on it and some herbed butter? I'm sorry, but this dish can do no wrong. I only ate a quarter of it (because I was actually sharing food for once) but easily could've had the entire plate.

So then I also had this tomato and avocado salad, which in my mind was a California version of a caprese salad. It had these tomatoes that were deep red and super juicy, with avocado slices and burrata cheese (seriously, where has this been all 24 years of my life?) and what I think was some sort of reduced balsamic. Another thing I could've had all of, but I decided to be a good co-worker and share.

And then dessert happened. Butterscoth pot de creme with salted caramel ice cream. I'll just let that sink in...

The next night we went to a place that was total "old Hollywood," called Musso and Frank Grill. I had no idea what to expect going into here, but I was really, really pleasantly surprised. I was also starving by the time we got there and ate far too much bread before my meal. I started with French onion soup and it was easily the best I ever had. Like, there was some taste in there that was so good that I can't describe it or begin to figure out what caused it. I then continued on my journey of having cheese in every part of my meal and went for the Macaroni Gratin. Ever been to Chef's in Buffalo? It was essentially spaghetti parm but instead of red sauce, it used a bechemal. Pretty sure my arteries were crying by the end of this meal. I also didn't finish the plate because of my bread indulgence from the moment I sat down.

I think that covers the most important parts. The rest was hotel food that was free so I can't really complain about it.

If you can't tell, this was a work trip. And it was a really successful one at that. I made way more connections than the previous two times I worked these events, one being a songwriter who created part of the soundtrack to my high school years. I also met some up and coming songwriters that I'm looking forward to staying in touch with. All this being said, networking is TIRING. Very little sleep was had this week. Very. Little.

THAT being said, I think it's time to cut this short and get back on New York time. Los Angeles, it was fun, but I am so happy to be back home living my perfectly ordinary stay-in-every-night life.

No comments:

Post a Comment